SISTER MARY CLARE CURRY, 1920-2012
Sr. Mary Clare Curry, OSU
April 28, 1920 – September 6, 2012
Sister Clare Curry, born Dorothea, died peacefully on September 6, 2012. She was a resident at Andrus on Hudson.
Sister Clare entered the Ursulines in 1939, and she made her first vows on August 28, 1941. Her ministry of teaching began at Blessed Sacrament School in New Rochelle in 1943.
In 1945 she taught at the Academy of Mount St. Ursula until 1948 when she taught at St. Philip Neri in the Bronx until 1950. Her next assignment was to Our Lady of Mercy where she taught until 1954. She then made her tertianship in Rome. When she returned in 1955, she served in St. Jerome’s School until 1962.
Sister Clare taught at Notre Dame School in Malone, from 1962 to 1966, except for a one-year assignment as principal at St. Angela Merici School in the Bronx, 1964-1965.
From 1966 to 1971 she taught at St. Joseph’s in Middletown.
In 1971, she became assistant librarian at the Academy of Mount St. Ursula, and librarian in 1976, a position she held until 1991.
From 1991 to 1995, she served as media specialist there. She then did community service until fully retiring in 2008.