Archives | Events and Happenings

JUBILEE OF RELIGIOUS PROFESSION 2013

Each year brings the celebration of the jubilee of Ursulines on the anniversary of their religious profession, for their faithfulness in dedication to God and in fulfilling the work of service to others entrusted to them by the church. They are honored on the day they made vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience in the Eastern Province of Ursulines of the Roman Union.

The following are Ursulines celebrating their Jubilees in 2013:

70 Years

Sr. Laurence Montgomery
Professed on August 26, 1943

Sister Laurence Montgomery will celebrate her 70th anniversary of religious profession on August 26, 2013. Her lifetime ministry was teaching children in elementary school. She began teaching at Blessed Sacrament School (1945-1946), and went on to teach at Our Lady of Mercy in the Bronx (1946-1948), Ursuline Academy, Wilmington, DE, Lower School (1948-1951), Ursuline Academy in Bethesda, MD (1951-1955); she made tertianship in Rome the following year.

Laurence served at St. Joseph’s in Middletown from 1957-1964, then went to St. Jerome’s in the Bronx (1964-1970). From 1970 to 1980, she returned to teach at St. Joseph’s in Middletown, and in her last five years there, she was a CCD coordinator. From 1980 to 1986 she taught at St. Paul’s in Wilmington, and from 1986 to 1993, she returned to teaching in the Lower School of Ursuline Academy there.

She volunteered her services as a tutor at the Wilmington city library from 1993 to 2010, when she retired. She had done volunteer service in Wilmington at Casa San Francisco and Literacy Volunteers of America.

Sr. Stephanie Nolan
Professed on August 26,1943

Sister Stephanie Nolan made her first profession on August 26, 1943 and will celebrate 70 years of religious life as an Ursuline. In her early years as an Ursuline, she taught at St. Jerome’s (1946-1949), in the Lower School at Ursuline Academy in Bethesda, MD (1949-1953), and St. Angela’s in the Bronx (1953-1955). After a year of tertianship in Rome, she returned to St. Angela’s as principal (1956-1959). She went on to serve as principal at St. Joseph’s in Malone (1959-1961). She was assistant superior of the Ursulines in Bethesda (1961-1964), and she became principal of Ursuline Academy there (1964-1966). For the next year she was provincial secretary in Beacon, NY. She taught at The Ursuline School in New Rochelle and was curriculum coordinator (1968-1974).

Stephanie went into parish ministry in religious education at St. Joseph’s in Middletown for one year, and from 1975 to 1983 she was director of religious education at Immaculate Heart of Mary parish in Scarsdale, served in the adult spiritual development. For two years as she was director of Sacramental Formation for the Archdiocese of New York. From 1987 to 1997 she served at Immaculate Conception parish in Tuckahoe. She next served at the province’s health care facility until 2002 when she retired. Over the years, she did volunteer work for hospice, the Literacy Volunteers of America, and the Midnight Run, ministering to the homeless.

 

60 Years

Sr. Margaret Hamilton
Professed on January 16, 1953

Sister Margaret Hamilton (Peg), formerly Sister Mary Loyola, celebrated 60 years of religious profession on January 16, 2013. Peg served in education all her life, first as a teacher, later as school librarian. She taught in elementary school at St. Angela’s School (1956-1957), St. Philip Neri (1957-1960), both in the Bronx. From 1960 to 1963, she taught secondary school at the Ursuline Academy in Dedham, MA.

She next taught at Ursuline schools in Brazil (1963-1965). She returned to teach at Ursuline Academy in Wilmington, DE (1965-1966) and then at St. Jerome’s in the Bronx (1966-1968). After a year’s tertianship in Rome, she returned to St. Jerome’s (1969-1972). After studies at Villanova, she became librarian at the Academy of Mount St. Ursula in the Bronx (1974-1993), until her retirement. She resides at Andrus on Hudson.

Sr. Mary Larkin
Professed on January 16, 1953

Sister Mary Larkin, formerly Sister Evangelista, who made her first vows on January 16, 1953, celebrated 60 years of religious profession on January 16, 2013. From 1956 to 1980, she taught elementary school, starting at Our Lady of Mercy in the Bronx (1956-1957), St. Joseph’s in Middletown (1957-1958), St. Angela’s in the Bronx (1958-1959), St. Jerome’s in the Bronx (1959-1961), and St. Angela’s (1961-1963). She taught at Notre Dame in Malone (1963-1967).

After a year of tertianship in Rome, she taught at Blessed Sacrament School in New Rochelle (1970-1980). She did pastoral ministry at various parishes in New York and New Jersey. From 2001 to 2005 she was Director of Pastoral Care at Dominican Sister of Hope Residence, and from 2006-2012 she was volunteer chaplain at Phelps Memorial Hospital in Westchester County, NY.

Sr. Alice Moran
Professed on January 16, 1953

Sister Alice Moran, formerly Sister Columba made her first vows in 1953. She began teaching in 1956 at St. Angela’s School in the Bronx and next taught at Our Lady of Mercy (1957-1958) and St. Philip Neri (1959-1961). She returned to Our Lady of Mercy as principal, from 1961 to 1964. She then taught secondary school at the Academy of Mount St. Ursula (1964-1965); at the Ursuline Academy in Wilmington, DE (1965-1968), followed by a year’s tertianship in Rome. She spent the next year at Corpus Christi School in Jennings, MO (1969-1970), returning to teach at St. Jerome’s (1970-1974) and as assistant principal (1974-1976), where she was also superior of the community (1970-1976).

After a year of study at St. Louis University (1976-1977), she became superior of the Community of St. Ursula in New Rochelle in 1977 to 1980. She undertook work in religious formation (1977-1983). She moved to the Diocese of Ogdensburg, serving from 1984 to 1997 in parish ministry and spiritual direction. From 1999 to 2004, she taught religion at The Ursuline School in New Rochelle, continuing in spiritual direction until her retirement in 2007 to Andrus on Hudson.

Sr. Elinor Shea
Professed on January 16, 1953

Sister Elinor Shea, formerly Sister Mary Berchmans, celebrated 60 years of religious profession on January 16, 2013. Since 1980 her ministry has been spiritual direction and group facilitation. In 1954 Ellie taught at Blessed Sacrament School in New Rochelle, until 1956. She taught at the College of New Rochelle (1957-1965).

After a year of tertianship in Rome, she returned to teach at CNR (1967-1968). After serving as superior at St. Angela’s Convent (1968 to 1971), she returned to CNR as associate director in the School of New Resources (1972-1974), director (1974 -1976), and in the next year coordinated the extension program at New York Theological.

Ellie was an adjunct faculty member at CNR/SNR (1979-1981) and portfolio mentor to 1984. From 1984-1990 she was on the staff at the Little Portion Retreat House. Ellie continues to do consulting, spiritual direction, and group facilitation to the present.

Sr. Marian Bohen
Professed on July 16, 1953

Sister Marian Bohen will celebrate 60 years of religious profession on July 16, 2013. She made her first profession in 1953. She taught in 1955-1956 at St. Philip Neri in the Bronx, and the next year at Notre Dame School in Malone, NY. From 1957 to 1960 she did theological study at Regina Mundi in Rome, the only place, at that time, where women could do advanced work in theology. She completed a doctorate at the Catholic University of America in religious education in 1962.

In 1963 she was sent to Indonesia, to teach at the Bandung Ursuline Juniorate (1964-1968). She taught theology at the University of Indonesia from 1968 to 1976 and as a professor at the Catechetical Institute in Jakarta. From 1977 to 1979 she was translator for the Indonesian Bishops Conference. She became part of a pastoral ministry team in 1979 in the diocese of Bajarin Kalinsana until 1983. Then she taught at the Pastoral Institute in Irian Jaya Papua for four years.

Marian returned to the United States in 1987. She taught theology at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY and then at Maryknoll School of Theology. From 1989 to 1995, as Associate Professor of NY Theological Seminary, she began a ministry teaching at New York Correctional Facility (Sing Sing Prison), then Coordinator of the Certificate in Ministry program until 2003. In 2004 she became part of an Interprovincial Community in Chicago. In 2007, she resumed teaching at Sing Sing to the present.

 

50 Years

Sr. Mary Sullivan
Professed on January 6, 1963

Sister Mary Sullivan, whose 50th anniversary of religious profession was on January 6, 2013, is provincial of the Roman Union Ursulines of the Easter Province. Formerly known as Sister Karen, she made her final vows on January 6, 1968. Mary taught at Blessed Sacrament School in New Rochelle (1965) and St. Jerome’s in the Bronx (1972-1973), St. John Chrysostom (1997-2000); at Notre Dame School (1966-1969) and St. Joseph’s Academy (1969-1972) both in Malone, NY; and at the Ursuline Academy in Bethesda, MD (1974-1975).

Her ministry in pastoral care and hospital chaplaincy from 1975 to 1997 included service at Memorial Hospital (1976-1978), Lincoln Hospital (1979-1982), at Calvary Hospital as Director of Pastoral Care (1983-1985), at St. Clare’s Hospital (1991-1992), and Siena House Shelter for Women (1992-1997).

Mary also served in positions within the province, most recently, Province Coordinator for the Office of Justice, Peace, and the Integrity of Creation (2002-2007), and Assistant Provincial (2007-2009). She became provincial in 2009.

Similar Posts